Public Sector Equality Duty
The Equality Act 2010 requires schools to publish information that demonstrates that we have due regard for the need to:
- Eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment, victimisation and any other conduct prohibited by the Equality Act 2010
- Advance equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and people who do not share it
- Foster good relations between people who share a protected characteristic and people who do not share it.
Hayward's Primary School is an inclusive school committed to ensuring equality of provision throughout the school community. We focus on the well-being and progress of every child within an environment where all members of our community are of equal worth.
We believe that the Equality Act provides a framework to support our commitment to valuing diversity, tackling discrimination, promoting equality and fostering good relationships between people. It also ensures that we continue to tackle issues of disadvantage and underachievement of different groups.
Information on pupils by protected characteristics
The Equality Act 2010 protects people from discrimination on the basis of protected characteristics. Every person has several of the protected characteristics, so the Act protects everyone against unfair treatment.
In order to ensure that all pupils are protected from discrimination, the school collects information on protected characteristics.
Information on other groups of pupils
In addition to pupils with protected characteristics, we gather further information on the following groups of pupils:
- Pupils eligible for Free School Meals (FSM)
- Pupils with Special Educational Needs (SEN)
- Disadvantaged group
- Pupils with English as an Additional Language (EAL)
- Young carers
- Looked after children
- Other vulnerable groups
Eliminating discrimination and other conduct that is prohibited by the Act
The information provided here aims to demonstrate that we give careful consideration to equality issues in everything that we do at Hayward's Primary School. ‘Due regard’ ensures that we work towards eliminating discrimination, harassment and victimisation and other conduct that is prohibited by the Equality Act.
We are committed to working for equality for all our staff, parents/carers and children to meet our duties under the Equality Act 2010.
We eliminate discrimination by:
- Adoption of the single Equality Scheme
- Our behaviour policy ensures that all children feel safe at school and addresses prejudicial bullying
- Reporting, responding to and monitoring all racist incidents
- Regularly monitoring the curriculum to ensure that the curriculum meets the needs of our pupils and that it promotes respect for diversity and challenges negative stereotyping
- Teaching is of the highest quality to ensure children reach their potential and all pupils are given equal entitlement to success
- Tracking pupil progress to ensure that all children make rapid progress, and intervening when necessary
- Ensuring that all pupils have the opportunity to access extra-curricular provision
- Listening to and monitoring views and experiences of pupils and adults to evaluate the effectiveness of our policies and procedures.
Advancing equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and people who do not share it
We advance equality of opportunity by:
- Using the information we gather to identify underachieving groups or individuals and plan targeted intervention
- Ensuring participation of parents/carers and pupils in school development
- Listening to parents/carers
- Listening to pupils at all times
- Having a governor with portfolio responsibilities for Equality
Fostering good relations across all characteristics - between people who share a protected characteristic and people who do not share it
We foster good relations by:
- Ensuring that Hayward's Primary School is seen as a community school within our local community
- Ensuring that equality and diversity are embedded in the curriculum and in collective worship.
Accessibility Plan and Equality Objectives
The link below takes you to our Accessibility Plan. This is the action plan showing how we will be continuing to develop increased access for all SEND children over the next year. Our Equality Objectives are contained at the end of the Equality Policy in our School Accessibility Plan.